ONLINE UNIT OF STUDY
This unit includes consolidated online resources and recommended learning activities. Units are divided into three learning levels and are designed to be used by parents and students as a guide in their homeschooling program. Printable materials and time-tracking tools are included with your purchase.
Upon completing this unit, students will demonstrate understanding of the following:
- All matter in the universe is made up of particles too small for the eye to see, called atoms.
- Atoms are made up of even smaller particles called protons and neutrons, which can be found in the nucleus of the atom, and electrons which can be found orbiting the nucleus of the atom.
- Different atoms have different amounts of protons and neutrons in their nuclei, which determines the type of atom.
- Different types of atoms are called chemical elements, which are organized on the Periodic Table of the Elements.
- The Periodic Table of the Elements is a powerful tool in understanding the relationships between the different elements.
Through our Homeschool Solutions online learning program, we aim to offer an educational resource that can truly benefit the homeschooling community. The curriculum content is made up of reliable online resources, compiled by expert educators. These resources support the learning goals for each unit of study. Unit goals are created by considering the essential content students need to thrive as well-educated, culturally-literate adults in today’s society.
In addition to the essential, foundational knowledge presented in this unit about atoms and the elements, we strive to support the development of key character traits and critical thinking skills that lead to lifelong success. All learning activities in this unit about atoms and the elements are designed with these goals in mind. Science unit activities heavily emphasize the importance of scientific thought and analysis; developing, exploring, and testing hypotheses; solving problems methodically; and considering multiple perspectives.