ONLINE UNIT OF STUDY
This unit includes consolidated online resources and recommended learning activities. Units are divided into three learning levels and are designed to be used by parents and students as a guide in their homeschooling program. Printable materials and time-tracking tools are included with your purchase.
Upon completing this unit, students will demonstrate understanding of the following:
- Biological evolution occurs over hundreds of thousands to millions of years.
- The theory of evolution states that all living things that exist today share a common ancestor and developed from earlier forms.
- Evidence for evolution is abundant and includes genetic comparisons, population studies, structural similarities, and the fossil record.
- The primary mechanism of biological evolution is natural selection, which leads to some organisms reproducing more successfully than others, and occurs over multiple generations.
- Organisms are grouped together based on their biological classification or taxonomy, which is the system used by scientists to organize living things based on the characteristics they share.
Through our Homeschool Solutions online learning program, we aim to offer an educational resource that can truly benefit the homeschooling community. The curriculum content is made up of reliable online resources, compiled by expert educators. These resources support the learning goals for each unit of study. Unit goals are created by considering the essential content students need to thrive as well-educated, culturally-literate adults in today’s society.
In addition to the essential, foundational knowledge presented in this unit about evolution and diversity, we strive to support the development of key character traits and critical thinking skills that lead to lifelong success. All learning activities in this unit about evolution and diversity are designed with these goals in mind. Our activities encourage and support traits such as self-awareness, empathy, and creativity. They also heavily emphasize the development of key critical thinking skills including goal setting, problem solving, forming and communicating opinions, and considering the perspectives of others.