ONLINE UNIT OF STUDY
This unit includes consolidated online resources and recommended learning activities. Units are divided into three learning levels and are designed to be used by parents and students as a guide in their homeschooling program. Printable materials and time-tracking tools are included with your purchase.
Upon completing this unit, students will demonstrate understanding of the following:
- Biology is the study of living things, and the study of biology involves many other disciplines, including physics, chemistry, and math.
- Living things have unique characteristics that make them different from non-living things, such as the organization and function of their body systems, their growth and development, their methods of energy utilization, and the ways in which they respond and adapt to their environments.
- Living things require certain chemical elements (such as Carbon) and compounds (such as water) that have important properties that make the processes of life possible.
- Living things depend on large molecules for their structure and function, specifically, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids.
- Living things undergo chemical reactions, collectively called metabolism, to obtain, use, and transform energy.
Through our Homeschool Solutions online learning program, we aim to offer an educational resource that can truly benefit the homeschooling community. The curriculum content is made up of reliable online resources, compiled by expert educators. These resources support the learning goals for each unit of study. Unit goals are created by considering the essential content students need to thrive as well-educated, culturally-literate adults in today’s society.
In addition to the essential, foundational knowledge presented in this unit about the characteristics and chemistry of life, we strive to support the development of key character traits and critical thinking skills that lead to lifelong success. All learning activities in this unit about the characteristics and chemistry of life are designed with these goals in mind. Science unit activities heavily emphasize the importance of scientific thought and analysis; developing, exploring, and testing hypotheses; solving problems methodically; and considering multiple perspectives.