ONLINE UNIT OF STUDY
This unit includes consolidated online resources and recommended learning activities. Units are divided into three learning levels and are designed to be used by parents and students as a guide in their homeschooling program. Printable materials and time-tracking tools are included with your purchase.
Upon completing this unit, students will demonstrate understanding of the following:
- All living things are made up of cells, which are too small to see without a microscope.
- The cell is an organism’s basic unit of structure and function, and while some organisms consist of only one cell, cells can be specialized to perform certain functions or combine to form larger structures.
- Most cells consist of similar structures, such as membranes, organelles, and genetic material, each of which performs a specific function.
- All cells undergo specific metabolic reactions, such as respiration and photosynthesis to harvest and store energy.
- Cells reproduce by division in a cyclical process called mitosis, which has distinct steps that occur in a specific order.
- Mitosis is also the process by which cells grow, repair themselves, and develop specific functions or specializations.
Through our Homeschool Solutions online learning program, we aim to offer an educational resource that can truly benefit the homeschooling community. The curriculum content is made up of reliable online resources, compiled by expert educators. These resources support the learning goals for each unit of study. Unit goals are created by considering the essential content students need to thrive as well-educated, culturally-literate adults in today’s society.
In addition to the essential, foundational knowledge presented in this unit about cells and cell biology, we strive to support the development of key character traits and critical thinking skills that lead to lifelong success. All learning activities in this unit about cells and cell biology are designed with these goals in mind. Our activities encourage and support traits such as self-awareness, empathy, and creativity. They also heavily emphasize the development of key critical thinking skills including goal setting, problem solving, forming and communicating opinions, and considering the perspectives of others.